Beginner to Advanced Level Courses
During any MNGS Ice Course, clients are taught the following skills. In a single or two-day course, material and techniques are covered accordingly and time-permitting, and include:
- Common mistakes in ice climbing and accident avoidance
- Differences in ice and rock climbing methods and safety
- Approach to ice climbs, selection, unique situations and weather influence
- Ice belaying and choice of belay stances
- Judgment of ice integrity and available/creative options
- Types of protection gear and variations in ice screw design
- Multiple and equalized ice anchors
- Anchor building, location and back-up of anchors
- Various rope systems and choice, including single rope, double and twin rope techniques and management skills
- Rappelling and descending ice routes: various rappel methods and devices
- Rappelling systems appropriate to rope management and retrieval
- Speed of movement and route management
- Efficient techniques for climbing, resting and descending steep couloirs and icy terrain
Beginning Ice Climbing Courses include:
- Choosing ice routes appropriate to your level; avoiding dangerous routes
- Understanding ice gear design and use: tools, crampons, screws, special ice gear
- Clothing selection and designs suitable for ice climbing, what to avoid
- Staying warm while climbing ice; avoidance of hypothermia, frostnip, etc.
- Characteristics of ice: weather effects, formation, strength evaluation, judgement
- Anchors and anchor placement choices, reasoning relating to weather / formation
- Footwork (resting, efficiency, limitations, boot design, crampon design and choice, etc)
- Tool placement (resting, efficiency, ‘cheating’, limitations, ice tool limitations/modifications, etc)
- Understanding safe belaying, rappelling and ‘bailing’ on ice climbs
- Differences in rope use and varying techniques available on ice
Cost: 200€ to 350€/day (according to number of clients; 3 clients maximum). Ice gear included free of charge (ice tools, crampons, harness and helmet). Boots not included but can be rented.
See our article about ice tool and crampon design under the Learning Aids section.
*Private instruction is also available. Contact us for information, pricing and reservations.